General Information and Frequently Asked Questions About the Presidential Awards
What are the Presidential Awards and who is eligible to be nominated for it?
A select group of graduates from August/December 2015 and May 2016 will receive Presidential Awards. These awards will be given to qualified outstanding seniors and graduate students who have embodied the principles of the Holy Cross tradition and the mission of the University and have demonstrated excellence in leadership, academic performance and service to the university and other communities. Because the Presidential Awards are intended to recognize the student members of our community, employees who are also students and who receive tuition remission are not eligible.
Applicant must meet the following criteria in order to be considered for the Presidential Awards:
- Earned at least a 3.25 cumulative GPA
- Completed a minimum of four semesters at St. Edward’s University while pursuing most recent degree
- Completed at least 30 credit hours at St. Edward’s University (New College graduates only)
- Be a graduating senior or graduating graduate student of the class of 2015–2016 (August/December 2015 or May 2016)
- Demonstrated participation in the life of the university
What do Presidential Awards recipients receive?
Presidential Awards recipients receive:
- A glass-encased award containing a certificate signed by President George E. Martin
- Individual acknowledgement on Honor’s Night by President Martin, including comments on the recipient’s accomplishments
In addition, photos and descriptions of each recipient’s accomplishments hang in the Robert and Pearle Ragsdale Center and appear on the Student Life web pages for one year. Names are then added to the online listing of past recipients.
What do I need to do to be considered for the 2015-2016 Presidential Awards?
Those interested in this honor will need to attend one (1) information session hosted in November. Those unable to atten (studying abroad, live well outside of the Austin area, etc.) can conact the committee chair, Tom Sullian, to set up a special information session via Skype or by some other means.
If you meet the eligibility criteria, the next step is to complete the Presidential Awards Application Process. Completed applications are due in the Student Life Office, Ragsdale 304, by Jan. 20, 2016 at 5 p.m.
Whom should I contact if I have questions about the Presidential Award’s?
Contact Tom Sullivan in Student Life at 448-8422.
What happens after I turn in my application?
The Presidential Awards Committee, composed of faculty, students and staff, will meet to study the Presidential Award applications. After all applications have been considered, the Presidential Awards Committee will decide upon Presidential Award recipients. Presidential Award recipients will be notified and asked to attend Graduate and New College Honors Night on April 23 or Undergraduate Honors Night on April 25.