Leaders of the Austin education community will hold a joint press conference at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, April 26, 2001, on the front steps of the Ragsdale Center on the campus of St. Edward's University, 3001 S. Congress Avenue.
Press conference participants include:
- Dr. George Martin, St. Edward's University president
- Dr. Pat Forgione, Austin Independent School District superintendent
- Dr. Richard Fonte, Austin Community College president
- Karin Dicks and Kevin Lyman, AMD representatives
- Austin Latino Alliance representatives
This effort will represent the first time that Latino education has been placed at the center of community-wide attempts to work across social, economic, and educational boundaries. This initiative, called ENLACE, is designed to increase the success of Hispanic/Latino students in elementary school, middle school, high school, college and beyond. The Austin initiative has been awarded $1.5 million of $28 million earmarked for ENLACE projects in seven states by the W. K. Kellogg Foundation and the Houston Endowment.
More details about this exciting initiative will be covered at the press conference.