Employees of St. Edward's University are allocated to one of the following categories:
- Faculty - Faculty members who are generally appointed on an academic year contract at one-half time or greater.
- Staff - Exempt/non-exempt and salaried/hourly employees who are appointed one-half time or greater for 6 months or longer.
- Faculty Associate - Regular staff employees whose primary job duties consist of working in academic administration and teaching at least one credit-bearing course approved by the appropriate academic administrator.
- Student Workers - Employees whose jobs are contingent upon their SEU student status.
- Non-Regular Staff - Staff members appointed for less than 20 hours per week and/or less than 6 months.
- Adjunct Faculty - Faculty members who are generally appointed on a semester-to-semester and/or class-by-class basis.
- Casual Labor - Employees appointed for less than two months on jobs which require minimal skills and training.
- Intern - Employees whose jobs provide academic credit and/or are required by their degree programs.