Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Who needs to receive the meningitis vaccination?
    If you are a first-time student, transfer student or a previous student who took a break during the fall or spring semester and under the age of 22 as of the university's first day of class, you must be vaccinated if you have not received a bacterial meningitis vaccination within the past five years.

  2. Where can I get the meningits vaccination?
    Most doctor's offices, private clinics and some minor emergency centers or walk-in clinics provide the meningitis vaccine. Call in advance to see whether they offer the vaccine, require an appointment, and take your insurance. Some local pharmacies also offer the vaccine (call in advance to see whether they require an appointment and take your insurance).

  3. What are the requirements for exemption?
    If you are 22 or older on the first day of classes of the semester in which you are enrolling at St. Edward's University, you are exempt and do not have to submit any paperwork. A student has the right to claim an exemption from the vaccination requirement for reasons of being a conscientious objector or for medical necessity. Specific documentation for these exemption claims is required. For more information about exemptions click here: Exemptions.

  4. Where do I submit my proof of immunization/exemption paperwork?
    Please submit your immunization/exemption paperwork to St. Edward's Health & Counseling Center:

  • By U.S. Mail: Health & Counseling Center, 3001 South Congress Ave-CM 1026, Austin, TX 78704
  • By Fax: 512-464-8842; During rush periods, you may receive busy signals before being able to complete your fax. Please plan accordingly
  • By Email: Sirritta Roundtree, Office Specialist IV,, write "vaccine" in the subject line.