Student Financial Services


Contact: Doris Constantine, Associate Vice President; Peter Beilharz, Bursar
Hours: Monday-Thursday  8:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m.; Friday  8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
Location: Main Building 204
Phone: 448-8523; 800-555-0164

Primarily Serves: All students

Primary Functions: Student Financial Services is responsible for the billing and collection of St. Edward’s tuition, fees, university housing, and meal plan charges. This office also handles the student employment program and veteran’s benefits, as well as the delivery of refunds. Additionally, Student Financial Services provides advice and counseling to students and parents on financing their education at St. Edward’s University. This office determines eligibility for financial assistance and awards scholarships, grants, campus jobs, and student and parent loans.  

Financial Responsibilities: Students must make financial arrangements with Student Financial Services each semester for their educational expenses.  Additionally, students who owe a current or past-due balance to the university may be barred from registration. Unpaid balances owed to the university will be subject to assignment to a collection agency (see Past-Due Accounts section).

Military Leave: Members of the National Guard or any of the Reserve Components who are ordered to engage in military training (not to exceed ten class days in an academic year) should notify their professors of their orders and make satisfactory arrangements to complete their course work.  If these arrangements are not acceptable to the professor, then the student should contact the Registrar's Office to either have the course listed as an incomplete or to petition for a (an unrecorded) withdrawal and full refund for the course. Additionally, the student should inform the Office of Veterans Affairs (Main Building, room 204) of their action and provide a copy of their orders.

Billing and Collection of Charges:  Students can choose to pay their semester balance owed (charges less authorized financial aid) in a single in-full payment or choose a monthly payment plan.  Students must submit all documents to secure their financial assistance, pay the first month’s payment (for those selecting a monthly payment plan) or pay in-full by:

August 1st for the fall term
December 1st for the spring term
May 1st for the summer term

At a student’s request, St. Edward’s will bill employers or other entities (such as ROTC, 529 plans or trust funds) for all or part of a student’s tuition cost.  Students who take advantage of this plan must submit, before the start of each semester, documentation of the third party’s intent to pay. 

Payments and Correspondence: Payments by electronic check, debit or credit card may be made online through the Billing Center section in a student’s myHilltop account.  There is no additional fee when paying by check or debit.  A fee of 2.75% is added for payments made using a credit card.  Checks can be mailed to the university at:  Office of Student Financial Services, Box 1031, 3001 South Congress Ave., Austin, TX 78704. The check should be made payable to St. Edward’s University and the student’s ID number should be included on the check. 

Miscellaneous Charges: Miscellaneous charges such as Health Center charges, parking tickets, and library fines are due upon receipt of a billing statement. A schedule of student charges is published annually in the Undergraduate, Graduate, and New College Bulletins.

Student Health Insurance: All students are required to have health insurance. Students must provide proof of coverage to the University’s Counseling and Health Services Office.  Students who do not provide proof of coverage will be required to purchase the university provided plan.  This plan typically costs $850-$950 each semester.  Health insurance charges are nonrefundable after the traditional undergraduate 12th class day.  Information on insurance claims and procedures is located in the Health Center section of this handbook. 

Past-Due Accounts: Any balance owed to St. Edward’s at the end of a semester is considered past due and is subject to assignment to an outside collector. Such assignment involves an additional cost to the student plus any attorney’s fees, court costs, and litigation fees. At the university’s discretion, students who owe a current or past-due balance may be barred from registration.

Transcript Hold: When a student owes a balance to the university, a hold is placed on his/her academic transcript. Generally, that balance must be paid in full before the transcript hold can be lifted. Transcripts are not issued to students who are federal student loan borrowers in their last semester or no longer enrolled who have not completed the required federal Exit Loan Counseling Session.

Diploma Hold: To avoid having their diploma held, graduating students must pay any outstanding financial obligations to the university in full.  Additionally, students who received a federal student loan while attending the university must complete an exit loan information session as required per federal regulations before their diploma can be released.

Return-Check Policy: If a payment made by e-check or paper check is not honored by the bank on which it is drawn, a $25 fine is charged to the student’s account. 

Refund Dates:  The tuition refund schedule is found on the university’s website.  This schedule is used for tuition and the unused value of any university housing and dining plan charges.  

Academic Criteria to Maintain Eligibility for Scholarships, Grants and/or Loans: Students must meet minimum GPA and credit completion rates to remain eligible for their financial aid programs.  This determination of meeting the requirements is done once a year after the spring term grades are available. The requirements are found on

Dates and Deadlines:  Students must be aware of the deadlines associated with making payments, submitting financial aid documents, etc.  These deadlines can be found on

Consequences of Dropping Coursework:  Most scholarship and grant funds require the student to be a full-time student.  If a student drops below full-time, the assistance offer will be revised. This revision may include the revocation of any and all grant funds and the return of student loan funds to the lender. Additionally, such students may lose future eligibility for financial assistance depending upon the number of classes they drop.

Consequences of Withdrawing from Short Courses (Modules): Students who do not successfully complete all short courses (modules) for which they were registered on the first day of the semester (i.e., summer, fall, spring) may be considered "withdrawn" for the purposes of determining eligibility for "earned" financial aid (as discussed in “Consequences of Completely Withdrawing from Course Work” below).  The University may be required to return "unearned" financial aid to the appropriate aid program, and this may result in the student owing a balance to the university.

Students who withdraw from modules that meet during the first session of the semester will be required to confirm their enrollment in any second session courses they wish to complete.  If the student does not confirm enrollment in second session courses, the University is required to assume the student has withdrawn from all courses and must return any "unearned" aid.

Consequences of Completely Withdrawing from Coursework:  A portion of a student’s grant, scholarship, student loan and/or parent loan will be revoked if the student withdraws from all courses for the semester the aid was received.  This student is expected to “earn” the funds by completing courses and progressing toward graduation.  Students who totally withdraw from courses have the “unearned” proportion of their semester’s aid revoked. 

Issuing Refunds to Students:  After all tuition, fees, and other charges are paid, students with excess funds in their student account are issued an electronic refund.  Students provide the bank account that the university will use to issue refunds in the Billing Center portion of their myHilltop account.  If a student does not have nor wants to open a bank account to receive refunds, the student can go to St. Edward’s Business Office in Premont Hall to sign up for a university-issued stored-value card.