The St. Edward's Teaching Symposium: A Conference on College Teaching
Each year, the Center for Teaching Excellence and the Symposium Planning Committee organize an on-campus conference on teaching and learning at St. Edward's -- the Teaching Symposium: A Conference on College Teaching. The conference is planned by St. Edward's faculty, presentations are proposed and led by St. Edward's faculty, and it is widely attended by both adjunct and tenure-track faculty as well as administrators and staff.
The conference begins with a plenary session, which is followed by presentations, panels, and workshops on a wide range of teaching topics. Participants can also visit the resource fair, where they will learn about organizations that can support their teaching or professional development. This peer-reviewed conference aims to actively engage participants. Come gain fresh ideas, meet new colleagues, and rekindle your passion for teaching and learning. We will be serving breakfast, lunch, and plenty of coffee.
2013 Call for Proposals
Each spring, we issue a call for proposals. This year's proposals are due on May 22, 2013. All faculty (full-time, adjunct and staff who teach) are invited to submit proposals for consideration for the program. For more information, view:
- the call for proposals, including the proposal form
- the session descriptions to learn more about the various session formats.
2013 Planning Committee
The Planning Committee is composed of full-time and adjunct faculty members from a wide variety of disciplines. The Committee creates the call for proposals, reviews proposals, plans the plenary session, and evaluates the conference. For the 2012-13 planning year, the committee is composed of the following members:
- Tony Alvarado — Entrepreneurship
- Kristy Kay Ballard — Kinesthesiology
- Stacey Borasky — Social Work
- Mary Brantl — Art History
- Kay Firth Butterfield — Global Studies
- Laura Issen — University Programs
- Delia Kothman Paskos — Psychology
- Chad Long — Political Science
- Kate Lopez — Accounting
- Michelle Richter — Criminology
- Ray Sant — Finance
- Brian Sheerin — English Literature
- Hilal Yilmaz — Economics
- Tom Yufik — Psychology
- Julie Sievers — Center for Teaching Excellence (Non-Voting Facilitator)
2012 Conference Program
Last year's conference was held on Thursday, August 23, 2012 in Fleck Hall on the campus of St. Edward's University. To gain a sense of what the conference is like, review our:
- One-page overview of sessions, fairs, and lunchtime roundtables.
- Full conference program with detailed session descriptions and presenters' names.