Rules and Alerts (Filters)
Setup Filters in Outlook using the Zimbra Connector
- To create a rule:
- Access the Zimbra Tab
- Click on the button that reads create a Zimbra Server Rules.
- In the new window that pops up titled "Rules" select "New"
- Follow the steps of the Rules Wizard to set up the rule. For example setting a rule to move a received message from a specific person to a designated folder
- Step 1: Select the Conditions – from people or distribution list
Step 2: Edit the Rule Description based on the conditions set and select from people or distribution list, choose the people or distribution list. To open the window below you must click on where it displays the words in the white box. (as shown below)
Select from your address book contacts or from the Global Address Book, then click on OK and Next.
Step 3: Select the actions such as move to the specified folder and click on Move to and choose from which folder you want those messages to be sent to or create a new folder. Click on OK and Next.
- Step 4: Select if there are any exceptions. Click on OK and Next.
- Step 5: Finish the Rule Setup. Specify a name for this rule and setup the rule options and click on Finish and finally click on Apply.
Setup Rules without the Zimbra Connector using Outlook 2010 (For POP or IMAP only)
In Outlook 2010 you may set up Rules and Alerts (Filters). Rules help you manage your e-mail messages by performing actions on messages that match a specific set of conditions. After you create a rule, Microsoft Outlook applies the rule when a message arrives in your Inbox or when you send a message. Rules can be used for organization and notification.
For example, you can automatically:
- Send all messages you receive from a specific person to a folder other than your Inbox
- Flag each meeting request or meeting update you receive from your manager.
To create a rule:
You can choose your own conditions, actions, and exceptions, do the following:
- In the Navigation Pane, click Mail.
- On the Move menu, click Rules.
- Click Create Rule.
- Then a window will pop up giving you several options. Select which filter you would like to set and to whome it applies.
OR To Create a rule:
- From the tabs at the top choose File.
- Then you should see Manage Rules & Alerts.
- A new window will pop up allowing you to manage rules and alerts.