Mac Mail Managing Folders
Using folders, you can organize your e-mail messages for ease of use while working in Mac Mail. To manage folders within Mail you may add, rename, move, or remove folders. Note that organizational folders are called Mailboxes in Mac Mail.
Add a Mailbox (folder):
- In Mac Mail, click the Mailbox menu.
- Select New Mailbox. The New Mailbox dialog box will appear.
- For location, use the dropdown menu to determine where the mailbox will be. By default, your email account name should be selected. If the Mailbox is to be a sub-folder of another previously-created Mailbox, choose it from your list.
- Name the mailbox and click OK. The mailbox will now appear listed in the left panel of Mac Mail.
Rename a Mailbox:
- Right-click the mailbox to be renamed.
- Select Rename Mailbox... from the menu.
- Type in the new desired name, then press the Return key.
Move a Mailbox:
In the left panel, click the folder you want to move and drag the mailbox to the new location between or after another mailbox, or within another folder.
Delete a Mailbox:
- Right-click the mailbox to be deleted.
- Select Delete Mailbox... from the menu. Note: Deleting a mailbox permanently removes it and its contents. This action cannot be undone.
- In the confirmation dialog box, click OK to confirm the delete.
Empty the Trash:
- Right-click the Trash icon.
- Select Erase Deleted Messages... Note: Erasing the messages permanently deletes them. This action cannot be undone.
- In the confirmation dialog box, click OK to confirm.