Once you have registered for an online or blended course, the following steps will help get you started:
- Make sure that your computer is ready.
- Most classes require that you have the most recent versions of both Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. You should be able to download Acrobat Reader from Adobe.
- Once you have downloaded Acrobat, it must be installed onto your computer. Click the icon on your desktop to facilitate the installation process.
- Review the minimum technical requirements for online learning and be sure your computer meets these requirements.
- Find and carefully read the syllabus and schedule for your class.
- Usually, online instructors will send you a copy of the syllabus, or will direct you to their web site, or to the course's Blackboard site. If you cannot find a syllabus for your class, contact the instructor immediately.
- If your instructor is using Blackboard, log in using your SEU login name and password. Your instructor will make the Blackboard class available when he/she is ready for students to access it.
- If you are enrolled in a class, select the class from the list of classes on your Blackboard home page.
- If the class in which you are enrolled is not listed, email your instructor. You may also contact the St. Edward's HELP Desk for more information.
- Go to the discussion forum and check to see if the instructor has started a discussion thread.
- Look on the Blackboard site to see if you have any upcoming assignments. Some online and blended courses have assignments that are due on or before the first official day of class. Typically, you will find assignments under "Assignments," in the syllabus or course schedule, depending on how the faculty member structured the site.
- If you need additional information about the class, email your instructor directly.
- Check the syllabus carefully to see if there are any special course requirements, such as a headset, special software or plugins. Note that you may need some ability to configure and control your network and web browser settings, and you may be required to download and install plugins. You will probably also need a sound card so that you will be able to play audio files on your computer.
If you have difficulty performing any of these computer tasks, contact the St. Edward’s HELP desk at 448-8443.