Where are we in SL?
We are located on one the New Media Center’s (NMC) Islands in Second Life. You can visit the SEU Campus in Second Life using this Second Life URL (SLUrl)
How Do I Join?
Creating an account in Second Life is free. It is possible to buy Linden dollars (SL’s currency) with real money to own real estate or to purchase other virtual items. However, spending money in SL is entirely optional and is not needed for most academic uses.
Steps for Creating a Second Life Account
- Go to http://sl.nmc.org/join
- Click "Create my account"
When filling the information:
- Please indicate that you want to join the NMC Community in Second Life
- Enter “Saint Edward’s University” in the organization name.
- Check the box indicating that "This organization is a member of the New Media Consortium." St. Edward’s University is a NMC member.
- Press “Create my account”.
- Faculty: please send an e-mail to IT with SL id.
- Students: please send their SL id to their instructor.
- Visit the SEU campus: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Teaching%203/49/216/24
- Note: If you have not used SL, you will need to download the SL Client. Information on how to do this can be found on the Second Life support website
Features of our Space in SL
The SEU Campus in Second Life has been designed as a space to facilitate a variety of educational scenarios. As a result, virtual buildings and spaces have been designed to accommodate a variety of educational needs. The SEU space includes:
- Landmark Hub: This space provides links to a wide variety of educational and organizational spaces in SL. This space is designed to be a ‘jumping off point’ to points of interest in SL.
- Teleporter: Teleportation devices have been placed beside key buildings to allow for easy transportation on the SEU campus.
- Classroom spaces: These spaces currently include a ‘traditional’ classroom, discussion area, private classroom space, auditorium and sandbox area. Classroom and auditorium spaces are a/v capable.