Browser Compatibility and Settings
Supported Web Browsers for Blackboard
- Blackboard should work on all current web browsers (IE 9, Firefox 10+, Chrome 15+, Safari 6). There are known issues with Safari 5.1.7 and file uploads so we recommend using Firefox or Chrome on the Mac under Mac OS 10.6. There are also some specific issues with IE and some grade center applications so we recommend that faculty use Firefox or Chrome when using the Grade Center.
- Blackboard strives to make all its products as accessible as possible. JAWS for Windows 11 and 12 were used during accessibility testing.
- Blackboard Learn requires the latest version of Sun JRE 6. The JRE can be downloaded from http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp.
The following technologies are not supported:
- Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Explorer 7
- Firefox 1.x, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5
- Safari 2.0, 3.x (or any version on Windows)
- Mac OSX 10.4 "Tiger"
- Java 5
- Internet Explorer 8 and Internet Explorer 9 are tested in Standards Mode. Some known issues can be resolved by using Compatibility Mode (emulates IE7 behavior).
- Both Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox have moved to a rapid release cycle. At the time of testing, Chrome 10.0 and Firefox 4.0 were the latest available versions. Since then, new stable versions have been released and widely adopted. Blackboard is supporting all newer stable versions of Chrome and Firefox.
Configuring Web Browsers to Work with Blackboard
Internet Explorer 8 and 9 for Windows
- Clear Browser Cache: Tools > Internet Options> General Tab > in Browsing history section, click the Delete button > Check Temporary Internet Files > Click on Delete > Click on Ok
- Get New Page Each Visit: Tools > Internet Options > General Tab > in Browsing history section, click the Settings button > select "Every time I visit the webpage." OK and OK again
- Pop-up Blocker Settings: Tools > Pop-up Blocker > Pop-up Blocker Settings ... > Add *.stedwards.edu> Close and click on OK to go back to browser.
- Trusted Sites: Tools > Internet Options > Security > Trusted sites > Sites > Uncheck "Require server verification for all sites in this zone". Add *.stedwards.edu > Close and click on OK to go back to browser.
- Enable Cookies: Tools > Internet Options > Privacy > Advanced > Check "Override Automatic Cookie Handling (accept 1st party; Prompt 3rd party)" and check the option to always accept session cookies. OK and OK again to go back to browser.
Firefox for Mac or Windows
Mac users: Access preferences via Firefox > Preferences. Close the Preferences window after making changes to automatically save changes.
- Clear Browser Cache: Tools > Options (Windows) or Preferences (Mac) > Advanced> Network > In Offline Storage click "Clear Now" button. Click OK.
- Popup Blocker Settings: Tools > Options (Windows) or Preferences (Mac)> Content > Click the “Exceptions” button next to Block Pop-up Windows > Add *.stedwards.edu > Click Allow and Close. OK back to browser
- Enable Cookies: Tools > Options (Windows) or Preferences (Mac) > Privacy > Cookies > select “Accept cookies from sites.” OK back to browser.
Safari 4 or 5 for Mac
- Clear Browser Cache: Safari > Empty Cache
- Enable Cookies: Preferences > Security > Cookies > select “Accept cookies only from from sites I visit.”
- Popup Blocker Settings: Safari Menu > Preferences > click Security icon > Clear checkbox on "Block Popup Windows."
- Enable Cookies: Accept Cookies > select "Only From Sites You Navigate To."