Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: I was waived out of some of my foundation courses, why did this occur?

You may have been waived of some of the foundation courses required by your degree plan by having completed certain equivalent undergraduate coursework PRIOR to beginning your MSB graduate program.  If you have questions, please contact your graduate advisor.

Q: How do I know what course(s) to take this semester?

You may review your degree audit in DegreeWorks, accessible from your My Hilltop--click on the Student tab, then under Academic Documents, click on Access DegreeWorks. You may also refer to the Graduate Course Rotations for assistance. If you have questions about the order to take your courses or prerequisites, please review your Plan in DegreeWorks. 

Q: What is a degree audit?  How do I read it?

Degree Audit may be accessed through your student account in My Hilltop in DegreeWorks. Degree audit is an electronic version of your degree plan. The courses you have already taken, are taking, as well as the courses you have remaining, are listed in your degree audit. 

Q: My degree audit is incorrect. How do I fix it?
If your degree audit is incorrect, please contact the MSB Graduate Advisor to update it. Please keep in mind that, while very helpful, DegreeWorks has its limitations.
Q: What is Blackboard?

Blackboard is an online medium where students and professors hold individual and group discussions and share documents. After you register for a class, you may access the class in Blackboard. Not every professor uses Blackboard. If you cannot see one or more of your courses in Blackboard, it does not mean that you are not registered for the course; the professor for the course may not have activated the course yet or may not be using Blackboard. 

Q: How do I find my textbooks? Can I purchase them online?

You may access textbooks in My Hilltop by searching the Dynamic Course Schedule. You may purchase your books online following the link in your My Hilltop account. You may also access the bookstore online and either purchase books through the website or go into the bookstore to purchase books.

Q: What do I need to do to drop a course?  Will I get a refund?

Students wishing to terminate any course at the university during a term must withdraw from courses during the posted schedule adjustment period set by the Office of the Registrar (Dates and Deadlines). During this period, the refund schedule set forth by the Office of Student Financial Services is adhered to (Refund Schedule). Students who receive financial assistance and withdraw should refer to the "Consequences of Withdrawal" in the Financial Aid section of the Graduate Bulletin, since withdrawing may have a significant impact on a student's eligibility for financial assistance as well as the educational expenses owed to the university.

Students assume financial and academic responsibility for each registered course. Withdrawing does not absolve a student's financial responsibility for his/her educational expenses. Discontinuing attendance or notifying an instructor of a status change does not constitute a drop or withdrawal. The student is responsible for initiating and completing the drop or withdrawal procedure utilizing My Hilltop. If the student fails to complete the process, he/she will receive the grade(s) assigned by the instructor of record and be billed accordingly.

Q: I would like to take a term off and return next term. What do I do?

You are allowed to “step out” two consecutive terms before you will be required to reapply to your graduate program. You are not required to do anything if you would like to take a term off, but it is helpful if you notify your advisor of your plans. Contact the graduate advisor when you are ready to re-enroll in order to have your academic record reactivated (eligibility requirements apply). 

Q: Where can I get directions to the other campus?  What is the PEC?

PEC pr PECC stands for the Professional Education Center. The PEC offers a north location for quite a few of the MSB graduate courses. Please see the course schedule for course locations. The MSB Graduate Advisor is typically available once a week at this location. Directions to PEC.

Q: Can I transfer credits from another university?
New Students:

Up to twelve hours of graduate-level work from a regionally accredited university may be transferred into your degree plan with pre-approval from the MSB Dean. Courses must carry a grade of B or higher and credits may not have been earned towards completion of another degree. To be considered for transfer, credits must be submitted at the time of application, and students must request transfer credit prior to creation of the student’s degree plan. Additionally, courses must have been taken within the six-year time limit for completion of your degree. The MSB graduate advisor will require a description of the course(s) and will submit the paper work to the Dean for approval.

Note: The director of the MACT program may accept a maximum of nine semester hours earned at the graduate school of another regionally accredited university. Accounting course work completed more than three years prior to the first semester of enrollment in the MACT program will not be counted toward the MACT degree at St. Edward’s University, whether transferred or taken in residence.

Current Students:

Graduate degree-seeking students who wish to enroll in graduate coursework at another regionally accredited college or university for transfer to St. Edward’s University must obtain pre-approval from the SMB Dean (certain criteria must be met in order to obtain approval – speak with your MSB graduate advisor for more information). Once the course has been completed with a grade of B or better and St. Edward’s University has received an official transcript, the credit will be transferred to meet the university’s degree requirements.

Q: How do I reapply to the graduate program or change graduate degree programs?

In order to reapply to an MSB graduate program that you were previously admitted to, you must fill out a new application. We keep your transcripts on file, so you will not need to resubmit them. However, you will be required to complete a new essay explaining your absence and why you wish to return. If you have attended any educational institutions since your last attendance at St. Edward’s University, you will need to submit official transcripts from those institutions. Please contact Graduate Admissions for information on applying for readmission.

Students wishing to apply to a new degree program (i.e. admitted to the MBA program but would like to switch to MSOLE) need to follow the aforementioned instructions; however, your essay should explain why you wish to change degree programs. Please contact Graduate Admissions for information on switching graduate programs.

Q: What do I need to do to change my MBA concentration?

Please notify Natalia so that she may update your degree audit and discuss your new degree plan, including any potential changes. If you are interested in attempting a different degree program, you must apply to that program.

Q:  If I make a C in a class, can I re-take the class to “replace” the grade? 

Repeating a class does not erase the original grade from your transcript. While a C is considered to be a passing grade, a student who earns two C grades will be placed on academic probation; a student who earns three C grades will be dismissed from their program. If a student earns a grade of D or F in a required course, the course must be repeated. Students pursuing certain certificate programs may be required to earn a B or better in specific classes in order to qualify for certification. Review the Academic Standards, Probation and Dismissal rules in the Graduate Bulletin for additional information. 

Q: Is there a timeframe in which I must finish my degree?

Students must complete all coursework towards their master’s degree plan within six years from the time of enrollment in the program (exclusive of foundation courses and including credit granted by transfer to the graduate program).

Q: I am close to finishing my degree. What do I need to do to graduate?

You'll Apply to Graduate during the term prior to your graduation date. Log on to your My Hilltop account to submit your graduation application. You will receive a confirmation letter from the Office of the Registrar during your final term after you are certified to graduate. Please make sure that your mailing information is correct. See update my address below if you need to make changes. For further info about graduation, please visit the Office of the Registrar’s Graduation page. 

Q: I have recently moved. Where do I update my address?

In your My Hilltop account, click on Address Change and make the necessary changes. Please remember to update your information when changes occur so that your billing and registration information get to you in a timely manner. Additionally, graduation material will be sent to the address on file for you. 

Q: How do I order a transcript or enrollment verification form? 
You may order a transcript or enrollment verification form from the Office of the Registrar.
Q:  What is Honors Night, and what qualifies as “honors” in the graduate program?

The graduate program does not award cum laude, magna cum laude, or summa cum laude honors. Honors Night is an event held each spring for all graduates of The Bill Munday School of Business and New College programs of the past year. Those who receive recognition for their academic efforts are the students who have a 4.0 GPA, are named the outstanding student in his/her program (they do not have to have a 4.0 to achieve this award), and those who have joined honor societies such as Delta Mu Delta and Alpha Sigma Lambda. The recipients of the Presidential Award and the Outstanding College of Professional and Graduate Studies Award are announced, as well as the Teaching Excellence award recipients.