Faculty FAQs

Who does Student Disability Services help?

We assist any students with:

  • Medical disabilities, such as diabetes, asthma, migraines
  • Learning disabilities, such as a reading disorder, math disorder, ADHD
  • Psychiatric disabilities, such as depression, anxiety, Asperger’s Syndrome

How are accommodations determined?

  • Students must present documentation of a disability to Student Disability Services.
  • A Disability Counselor will interview the student, review the documentation and determine the appropriate accommodations.

Do I need to know the nature of the student's disability?
Our responsibility is to keep all documentation and diagnoses confidential. There are times when students are comfortable discussing their disability with professors, but in most cases students choose not to disclose the nature of their disability. Faculty may contact the student’s Disability Counselor to find out helpful ways to work with a particular student.

What should I discuss with the student when I am presented with a 504 Letter of Accommodation?
It is important to lay a framework about how you and the student will work together through the semester. It is useful, depending on the accommodations listed, to discuss how a student will communicate with the professor regarding:

  • Utilization of the testing center
  • Class absences
  • Need for additional time on an assignment

What are my grading responsibilities if a student cannot pass the course requirements while using accommodations?
Students with disabilities are required to meet the same academic requirements as other students. If they cannot meet the standards, then you should grade them as you would any other student.

What should I do if I think a student has an undiagnosed disability?

  • Refer him/her to Student Disability Services.