Academic Planning and Support Services (APSS) counselors provide individual guidance and information to help freshmen with declared majors, Academic Exploration participants, and new transfer students take responsibility for defining and planning their academic lives. Students and counselors work together to assess the educational development of each individual. This includes reviewing academic progress, planning semester schedules, exploring degree options, and clarifying goals in preparation for assignment to a faculty advisor in the chosen major.
Academic Advising : A Shared Responsibility
Academic advising helps students to accomplish these objectives:
- explore and clarify educational, career and life goals
- create short and long-term plans to accomplish these goals
- select a major that balances goals, interests and abilities
- understand requirements of the major and the University
- identify and register for appropriate courses